Today Opening Ceremony announced their new country for the season: Japan. Replacing the East Coast vs West Coast theme (we so rule, California!), the store is heading to the Far East, bringing together a new group of designers focusing on Japanese style for September 2008. (Stock should hit sometime in August.) Previous countries we’ve gotten to visit sans passport include Brazil, Sweden, Germany, Hong Kong, and merry ol’ England. But this is Japan, people. You know the stock is going to be insane (in the best way possible). Just take a look at what you can expect:
• Comme des Garçons is doing a pop-up shop! The first-ever “Opening Ceremony presents Middle Space/Comme des Garçons shop” will feature the complete fragrance line, wallet collection, and assortment from the Play collection.
• The store is going to carry exclusive Japanese kicks from brands like Nike Sportswear, Pendleton, Converse, and Redwing.
• Opening Ceremony is collaborating with Sanrio to create toy-vending machines in the stores.
• Designers including Green, G.V.G.V, Hiromi Tsuyoshi, Lad Musician, Porter, Vlas Bloome, End Pin, United Arrows (Beauty and Youth), and Sabatino will make their U.S. debut exclusively at the store. Also, you’ll find Cosmic Wonder, John Lawrence Sullivan, N. Hollywood, Nude: Mashaiko Maruyama, Toga, and Whereabouts.
• The Japanese stationer Postalco will create exclusive stationery.
Let the countdown begin. —Sharon Clott