We don’t understand why the Olsens bother doing things that garner publicity. Because when they do, their fans crawl out from manhole covers with heightened interest in them. And then the Olsens are expected to feed that interest by talking to the media and even interacting with those fans in person. Shudder. So while we are enormously grateful for their new book, Influence, because it truly is a good read, we don’t understand why they put themselves through the sheer visibility of it all. Before Influence they never talked to reporters at events, though they had no qualms about posing for photos. They barely talked to magazines who did cover stories of them. And now they have to go on Oprah, where the conversation is limited to breakfast (never eating disorders! Oprah tried). They held a party for the book at Barneys last night but didn’t want reporters to cover it. This afternoon they signed books at Barnes & Noble. And they did everything they could to ensure extremely limited interaction with their fans, including handing out a list of rules to anyone who wanted a book signed, which Racked got ahold of.
1) Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will be with us for a limited time. They will only be signing copies of their book, Influence. They will not be speaking, reading or taking questions.
2) Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen will NOT sign any memorabilia or product other than Influence. There is a limit of one book per person, and your one book must be purchased here.
3) You will be directed to pay for your book upon entering the store and will be given a receipt for your purchase. Please keep your receipt. You will receive your book at the signing table.
4) Along with your receipt, you will be given a B&N wristband, and then directed to the event space on the 4th floor. You must have a receipt and a wristband to access the 4th floor.
5) Anyone approaching the signing table must have paid for the book and be wearing a B&N wristband. One person, one wristband, one book.
6) You will collect your signed book at the signing table. If you have paid for any additional copies, a staff member will provide you with those before you exit the space.
7) There is no photography allowed. You must put away your camera or cell phone before approaching the signing table. The authors will not pose for photos.
8) If you leave, or the authors leave, before you are able to collect a signed book, you may present your receipt to a cashier for either an unsigned book or a refund. (Refunds only issued within 14 days of receipt.)
9) There will be no extra signed copies available after the authors leave the store. They will not be able to sign for anyone who is not on line. No pre-orders.