Look out, long-haired ladies and dudes still convinced they can pull off a man bun, there’s a new thing for you to worry about: death by killer hair tie.
A woman in Philadelphia was hospitalized with a life-threatening infection after bacteria from the hair tie she wore around her wrist crept under her skin, creating a large abscess that wouldn’t respond to antibiotics and required surgery. If she hadn’t gone to the emergency room, the infection could have gotten into her bloodstream and she could’ve died of sepsis.
“I didn’t believe it at first,” Audree Kopp told CBS Philadelphia. “I thought that it was a spider bite, or something else, not from wearing hair-ties.”
Oh, but it was from wearing hair ties. And now you have a new freak medical condition to obsessively Google. You’re welcome!