After learning of singer Kehlani Parrish’s recent suicide attempt, resident terrible person Chris Brown tweeted: “There is no attempting suicide. Stop flexing for the gram. Doing shit for sympathy so them comments under your pics don’t look so bad.”
Let’s get this straight, Chris: People don’t attempt suicide for attention. People don’t attempt suicide to “flex for the gram.” People don’t attempt suicide to get sympathy. People attempt suicide because they suffer from depression or another disease.
Here are more appropriate ways to respond to such upsetting news:
• Reach out and send love.
• Don’t make any sweeping judgments about suicide.
• Don’t call suicide cowardly.
• Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
• If you’re not close with the person, you actually don’t need to say anything.
• Don’t use somebody else’s suicide attempt to get mad engagement on your bad tweets.
• Again, say nothing. It’s not necessary.
• Say nothing.
• Seriously, Chris, stop saying things.