Watch an Illustrated 30,000-Year Evolution of the Sex Toy
Sex toys have a long and turbulent history, which stretches back almost 30,000 years when our ancestors “hunched over carving eight-inch-long penises out of siltstone.” Hallie Lieberman’s new book, Buzz: A Stimulating History of the Sex Toy, takes readers through the colorful backstories of humanity’s favorite playthings. Watch the video above for an illustrated primer on ancient phalluses, Victorian-era vibrators (disguised as wrinkle-removers), and America’s first prosthetic penises manufactured by an enterprising ventriloquist.
- How Parkland Survivors and Chicago Youth Are Uniting to End Gun Violence
- What It’s Like: My 30-Year Struggle With Antidepressants
- Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Lobster Lady?
- 6 Moms on Motherhood Through the Years
- The Grimes Guide to Space Travel
- How We Made Our Own CGI Influencer in 48 Hours
- Milena and the Technicolor Dog Coat
- What Would You Wear to Meet God?
- How Women Filmmakers Get It Done
- What Does It Take To Be a Duchess? Inside a Royal Etiquette Class
- The 7 Most Outspoken Women About Equal Pay in Hollywood
- How to Apply Mascara: 14 Ways in Two Minutes
- Men Describe Stills From Janelle Monáe’s ‘Pynk’ Music Video
- Macron’s State Visit With Trump Was a Film Noir Romance
- Get Ultra-Colorful Smoky Eyes With Tom Ford’s Extrême Collection
- What Exactly Is Going On With Donald and Melania Trump’s Body Language?
- As One: Making the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Yearbook
- ‘How I Get It Done’ Panelists Share Their Secrets to Success
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Engagement Chicken
- This 9-Year-Old Hair Model Has a Message for Other Girls