What It’s Like: My 30-Year Struggle With Antidepressants
Lauren Slater, journalist and author of Blue Dreams: The Science and the Story of the Drugs That Changed Our Minds, has had a complicated relationship with antidepressants for most of her adult life.
While psychotropic drugs such as Prozac, Effexor, and Zyprexa have greatly soothed her mental health, they have also exacted a terrible toll on her libido and her body.
Long-term use of antidepressants has risen rapidly in the United States in the past ten years. In 2014, over 15 million Americans reported using prescription antidepressants for five years or more, according to a New York Times analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data.
Here, Slater tells the Cut about her long journey with her prescription drugs, and how they have significantly impacted her relationships, work, and life.
- Collector Dr. Joy Simmons Takes Us Inside Her Art-Filled L.A. Home
- In This Spectacular Kelly Wearstler Home, Comfort Comes First
- E. Jean Carroll on the Aftermath of Publishing Her Story
- The Enviable Loft Fran Lebowitz Has Never Liked
- What Does Sex and Intimacy Look Like for New Parents? | Sex Probz
- I Want to Role-Play With My Partner Without Making It Weird
- I Don’t Want to Sexile My College Roommate! | Sex Probz
- 3 Fashion and Beauty Professionals on How They Get It Done
- I’m Kinky But Broke. Where Do I Start? | Sex Probz
- How Do I Keep Things Sexy in a Long-Distance Relationship? | Sex Probz
- I’m Disabled. How Can I Improve My Sex Life? | Sex Probz
- Bobby Berk on the Power of Good Design, Queer Eye, and What’s Next
- The Creators and Stars of Hulu’s ‘Pen 15’ on Trusting Their Instincts
- Natasha Lyonne on How to Rise in Your Career
- A Day in the Life of 8 Successful Women
- Snooki’s Guide to Social Media
- The Most Petty Moments During Michael Cohen’s Testimony
- This Body-Paint Artist Transforms People (& Ariana Grande) Into 2-D Paintings
- Beyond ‘The One’: Exploring Modern Polyamory
- These Plus-Sized Yogis Made Yoga Their Own