Interior Lives: This Upper East Side Apartment Is a Living Work of Art
With dancing vases, a musical couch, and a rag chair, this technicolored Upper East Side apartment doubles as a home for Ruth Lande Shuman and a gallery for Gaetano Pesce, the Italian architect and industrial designer known for creating household objects out of resin and furniture from rags.
Using resin, polyurethane, and paint, Pesce has created a veritable dreamscape, each room more colorful than the last — with every space clueing you in to its function with subtle iconography baked into the design (like fruit on the floor in the dining room) — all in an effort to capture the essence of Shuman and her vibrant life.
In this episode of Interior Lives, our design editor, Wendy Goodman, immersed herself in both Pesce’s surreal, color-saturated world and Shuman’s home, where we learn why fantastical color is so necessary for some apartments.
- Collector Dr. Joy Simmons Takes Us Inside Her Art-Filled L.A. Home
- In This Spectacular Kelly Wearstler Home, Comfort Comes First
- E. Jean Carroll on the Aftermath of Publishing Her Story
- The Enviable Loft Fran Lebowitz Has Never Liked
- What Does Sex and Intimacy Look Like for New Parents? | Sex Probz
- I Want to Role-Play With My Partner Without Making It Weird
- I Don’t Want to Sexile My College Roommate! | Sex Probz
- 3 Fashion and Beauty Professionals on How They Get It Done
- I’m Kinky But Broke. Where Do I Start? | Sex Probz
- How Do I Keep Things Sexy in a Long-Distance Relationship? | Sex Probz
- I’m Disabled. How Can I Improve My Sex Life? | Sex Probz
- Bobby Berk on the Power of Good Design, Queer Eye, and What’s Next
- The Creators and Stars of Hulu’s ‘Pen 15’ on Trusting Their Instincts
- Natasha Lyonne on How to Rise in Your Career
- A Day in the Life of 8 Successful Women
- Snooki’s Guide to Social Media
- The Most Petty Moments During Michael Cohen’s Testimony
- This Body-Paint Artist Transforms People (& Ariana Grande) Into 2-D Paintings
- Beyond ‘The One’: Exploring Modern Polyamory
- These Plus-Sized Yogis Made Yoga Their Own