Inside a Design Icon’s Colonial Castle Where Snow White’s Dwarfs May Have Died
When design and retail icon Murray Moss and his partner Franklin Getchell moved from New York City into their new neighborhood in Hamden, Connecticut, their new neighbors — many of whom are accomplished and older academic professionals from Yale nearby — greeted them with ample intrigue and questioning.
“Are you Jewish?” some asked. “Because you’ll need to join the synagogue immediately if you’re going to get a plot in the graveyard.”
Others were put off by Moss’s incongruous sense of design and juxtaposition, an utter departure from the community’s interior-design aesthetic status quo: Mission Style, with its emphasis on lines, flat panels, and handcrafted oak furniture.
Despite the risk of ostracizing themselves from the community, Moss and Getchell stayed the course, turning their Colonial-style home, designed and built by the enigmatic architect Alice Washburn, into a showcase just as forward-thinking as Moss’s retail store, MOSS, was, mixing the works of Hella Jongerius, Maarten Baas and Studio Job.
In this episode of Interior Lives, our design editor Wendy Goodman takes us inside and throughout Moss and Getchell’s Colonial castle, where we learn from Moss just how fun, and tasteful, juxtaposition can be.
- Collector Dr. Joy Simmons Takes Us Inside Her Art-Filled L.A. Home
- In This Spectacular Kelly Wearstler Home, Comfort Comes First
- E. Jean Carroll on the Aftermath of Publishing Her Story
- The Enviable Loft Fran Lebowitz Has Never Liked
- What Does Sex and Intimacy Look Like for New Parents? | Sex Probz
- I Want to Role-Play With My Partner Without Making It Weird
- I Don’t Want to Sexile My College Roommate! | Sex Probz
- 3 Fashion and Beauty Professionals on How They Get It Done
- I’m Kinky But Broke. Where Do I Start? | Sex Probz
- How Do I Keep Things Sexy in a Long-Distance Relationship? | Sex Probz
- I’m Disabled. How Can I Improve My Sex Life? | Sex Probz
- Bobby Berk on the Power of Good Design, Queer Eye, and What’s Next
- The Creators and Stars of Hulu’s ‘Pen 15’ on Trusting Their Instincts
- Natasha Lyonne on How to Rise in Your Career
- A Day in the Life of 8 Successful Women
- Snooki’s Guide to Social Media
- The Most Petty Moments During Michael Cohen’s Testimony
- This Body-Paint Artist Transforms People (& Ariana Grande) Into 2-D Paintings
- Beyond ‘The One’: Exploring Modern Polyamory
- These Plus-Sized Yogis Made Yoga Their Own