Meet the Very Hairy Men of New Jersey’s Beard Society | Radical Beauty
The Garden State Beard and Mustache Society, a.k.a. The Garden State Beardos, is a fellowship of facial hair enthusiasts that celebrates beards of all shapes and sizes. Matty C, as he’s known to the community, started the group on a whim in 2011 after watching Whisker Wars.
The members meet regularly to hang out, banter, organize fundraising events, and compare beards. The Society even boasts female members who proudly call themselves the “Whiskerinas.” And of course, there are the competitions.
The Garden State Beardos compete in some of the United States’ most prestigious national beard competitions, like the Great American Beard and Mustache Championships. But they also represent closer to home. Last fall, the Cut tagged along with the Society to the Coney Island Beard and Mustache Competition to find out exactly what it takes to be a beard champion.
- Love in the Time of Quarantine
- What We Know About COVID-19 and Pregnancy
- How Three Pregnant Women Are Responding to COVID-19
- Advice from Italian Parents on Lockdown
- How West Side Story’s Shereen Pimentel Gets It Done
- Inside Athena Calderone’s Elegant Brooklyn Brownstone
- How Comedian Jo Firestone Gets It Done
- Inside Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney’s Long Island Art Studio
- How New Yorker Illustrator Liana Finck Gets It Done
- Jonathan Adler and Simon Doonan Reveal Their Whimsical Greenwich Village Home
- Inside Kelly Behun’s Mesmerizing Apartment in the Clouds
- Inside One of the Last Bohemian Homes in Hotel Chelsea
- How Iliza Shlesinger Gets It Done
- How Hadestown’s Eva Noblezada Gets It Done
- 4 Women at the Top of Their Fields on How They Get It Done
- How The Daily Show’s Dulcé Sloan Gets It Done
- How Rachel Zoe Gets It Done
- How YouTuber Hannah Hart Gets It Done
- How New York City Ballet’s Lauren Lovette Gets It Done
- How Raveena Aurora Gets It Done