Meet the Very Hairy Men of New Jersey’s Beard Society | Radical Beauty
The Garden State Beard and Mustache Society, a.k.a. The Garden State Beardos, is a fellowship of facial hair enthusiasts that celebrates beards of all shapes and sizes. Matty C, as he’s known to the community, started the group on a whim in 2011 after watching Whisker Wars.
The members meet regularly to hang out, banter, organize fundraising events, and compare beards. The Society even boasts female members who proudly call themselves the “Whiskerinas.” And of course, there are the competitions.
The Garden State Beardos compete in some of the United States’ most prestigious national beard competitions, like the Great American Beard and Mustache Championships. But they also represent closer to home. Last fall, the Cut tagged along with the Society to the Coney Island Beard and Mustache Competition to find out exactly what it takes to be a beard champion.
- Collector Dr. Joy Simmons Takes Us Inside Her Art-Filled L.A. Home
- In This Spectacular Kelly Wearstler Home, Comfort Comes First
- E. Jean Carroll on the Aftermath of Publishing Her Story
- The Enviable Loft Fran Lebowitz Has Never Liked
- What Does Sex and Intimacy Look Like for New Parents? | Sex Probz
- I Want to Role-Play With My Partner Without Making It Weird
- I Don’t Want to Sexile My College Roommate! | Sex Probz
- 3 Fashion and Beauty Professionals on How They Get It Done
- I’m Kinky But Broke. Where Do I Start? | Sex Probz
- How Do I Keep Things Sexy in a Long-Distance Relationship? | Sex Probz
- I’m Disabled. How Can I Improve My Sex Life? | Sex Probz
- Bobby Berk on the Power of Good Design, Queer Eye, and What’s Next
- The Creators and Stars of Hulu’s ‘Pen 15’ on Trusting Their Instincts
- Natasha Lyonne on How to Rise in Your Career
- A Day in the Life of 8 Successful Women
- Snooki’s Guide to Social Media
- The Most Petty Moments During Michael Cohen’s Testimony
- This Body-Paint Artist Transforms People (& Ariana Grande) Into 2-D Paintings
- Beyond ‘The One’: Exploring Modern Polyamory
- These Plus-Sized Yogis Made Yoga Their Own