Meet the Very Hairy Men of New Jersey’s Beard Society | Radical Beauty
The Garden State Beard and Mustache Society, a.k.a. The Garden State Beardos, is a fellowship of facial hair enthusiasts that celebrates beards of all shapes and sizes. Matty C, as he’s known to the community, started the group on a whim in 2011 after watching Whisker Wars.
The members meet regularly to hang out, banter, organize fundraising events, and compare beards. The Society even boasts female members who proudly call themselves the “Whiskerinas.” And of course, there are the competitions.
The Garden State Beardos compete in some of the United States’ most prestigious national beard competitions, like the Great American Beard and Mustache Championships. But they also represent closer to home. Last fall, the Cut tagged along with the Society to the Coney Island Beard and Mustache Competition to find out exactly what it takes to be a beard champion.
- The 100-Year-Old Hidden Castle Tower in NYC Where AMC’s CEO Lets Down His Hair
- Inside a Design Icon’s Colonial Castle Where Snow White’s Dwarfs May Have Died
- This Artist Bends Neon Into Life-Size Sculptures of Wicked Women
- This Japanese Artist’s Rope-Bondage Performance Straddles S&M and Art
- This Artist Stocked an Entire Supermarket With 31,000 Felt Sculptures
- Inside Aelfie’s Eclectic Williamsburg Loft
- The Horniest Vibrator Scenes From Film and TV
- If You Like Black, White, and Minimalism, You’ll Love this Tribeca Loft
- This Artist’s Giant Yarn Sculptures Explode With Color
- This Artist Sculpts Human & Animal Blood Into Striking Works of Art
- How Likely Are You to Get Skin Cancer?
- The Most Important Thing to Pack for Labor Day
- Interior Lives: This Upper East Side Apartment Is a Living Work of Art
- How Parkland Survivors and Chicago Youth Are Uniting to End Gun Violence
- What It’s Like: My 30-Year Struggle With Antidepressants
- Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Lobster Lady?
- 6 Moms on Motherhood Through the Years
- The Grimes Guide to Space Travel
- How We Made Our Own CGI Influencer in 48 Hours
- Milena and the Technicolor Dog Coat