It’s been a very big week for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Meghan Markle got a new job, and may also have moved back to Los Angeles with Harry and their son, Archie. That’s according to People, which confirmed a report published by the Sun on Thursday. Neither outlet said when, exactly, Harry and Meghan left Canada, just that it happened before the country closed its U.S. border on March 20.
Per People, the couple are now “settled” and hunkering down in compliance with the state’s stay-at-home order. They had previously been staying on Vancouver Island, but reportedly looking at houses in L.A., Meghan’s hometown. “Harry is looking straight ahead at his future with his family,” an unnamed source previously told People. “They will be spending time in California … He’s not looking back.”
Speaking of family, the abrupt move apparently did not sit well with Harry’s. “We are stunned and horrified. The country is going through a traumatic event at the moment,” an anonymous courtier told the Sun’s Dan Wootton — the same reporter who, as the Daily Beast notes, broke the news that Meghan and Harry would “step back” from their roles as senior royals earlier this year. The courtier went on to suggest that, with Prince Charles having just tested positive for coronavirus and the Queen in self-quarantine, the appropriate place for Meghan and Harry would’ve been back in the U.K.
Still, Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, lives in L.A., and per the Sun, “This move was planned for some time,” and was simply expedited by the border closure. The couple’s last official day as working senior members of the British royal family is March 31.