On Monday, the Pentagon officially released three videos showing “unidentified aerial phenomena” — the current accepted nomenclature for UFOs — and I felt nothing. I mean, sure. Okay. That’s cool, I guess. But we just sort of have a lot of other stuff going on right now, you know?
The three videos — which were captured by U.S. Navy aircrafts in 2004 and 2015 and show unidentified objects flying through the sky — had previously been released in 2017 and 2018 by To the Stars Academy of Arts & Science (a company co-founded by — yes, you guessed it, former Blink-182 musician Tom DeLonge) and in reports by the New York Times. And while the Navy had already confirmed the authenticity of the videos, Pentagon spokesperson Sue Gough said in a statement that the department was releasing the footage itself now, “in order to clear up any misconceptions by the public on whether or not the footage that has been circulating was real, or whether or not there is more to the videos.”
“I can tell you, I think it was not from this world,” one of the pilots, retired commander David Fravor told ABC News in 2017 about the footage he recorded during a routine training mission off the coast of California in 2004. “I’m not crazy, haven’t been drinking. It was — after 18 years of flying, I’ve seen pretty much about everything that I can see in that realm, and this was nothing close.”
Wow. The U.S. government has confirmed the existence of UFOs. That’s rad. Now if only it could put together a functional plan to combat the current global pandemic.