This advertising content was produced in collaboration between Vox Creative and our sponsor, without involvement from Vox Media editorial staff.
As the weather heats up this summer, people are more eager than ever to spend time outdoors — to host, entertain, and soak up the sun. While we can’t control what the future holds, we do have the ability to rejuvenate our spaces to match the enthusiasm that surrounds us in this current moment.
Last month, CB2, the Cut, and Domino hosted Style the Outdoors, a virtual event introducing new ways to maximize your outdoor area and give you the tools to transform it into the ultimate alfresco oasis. Our experts shared insider tips on how they embrace the relaxed vibes of summer, as well as how to create beautiful spaces that endure as the seasons change.
Of course, your summer sanctuary isn’t complete without showstopping florals in stylish jardiniere. That’s why we featured a live styling demo by Kristen Griffith-VanderYacht, owner and creative director of Wild Bloom, who also serves as head judge on Netflix’s The Big Flower Fight. Besides using ivory-colored CB2 vases that make florals pop, here are Kristen’s top tips for making a succulent planter and a gorgeous flower arrangement.
1. Start with your planter. Fill it up with soil, leaving about an inch of space at the top.
2. Remove the succulent from its original planter. Pro tip: Give the planter a little squeeze, and the succulent should pop right out.
3. Use your fingers to create a little hole in the soil, and place the succulent in. Move the dirt around gently so it covers the hole. Pro tip: Leave some space in the planter so the roots have room!
4. Add more potting soil, making sure the roots are mostly covered.
5. Remember not to over-water your succulents! Too much water can kill a succulent, so be patient and wait until the petals look a little wrinkled before you water them.
1. Gather your seasonal florals! Kristen chose snapdragons, rubus, fresh mint, and helenium. Pro tip: To better visualize your arrangement, try the fan technique, where you build the arrangement in a fan shape on a table before putting it in your vase.
2. Go green! Summer is the most bountiful time of year, so enjoy the harvest by embracing green tones in your arrangement.
3. Grab the fan-shaped arrangement at the joint and lift. Give it a shake, and make adjustments if you’d like.
4. Channel your inner artist, and use different flowers to add color or texture as you see fit. Pro tip: Remove the leaves at the bottom to prevent the arrangement from withering prematurely.
5. Measure, cut, and place the flowers. And there you have it! This beautiful summer arrangement is fit for any garden party.
From versatile planters that breathe new life into your home to lounge furniture for the perfect patio soiree, shop CB2’s outdoor collection to revitalize your space this summer.