Talking to people can be hard. We’ve all been in one-on-one situations where the conversation dies, and neither conversation partner is able to resuscitate it. If only you had a stash of good conversation starters in your back pocket, ready to be used in any situation. Oh wait — you have one right here! Here are 100 great conversation starters to use in just about any situation.
Conversation starters for anyone.
1. What are you going to do this weekend?
2. Are you watching any good TV shows right now?
3. What is your favorite time-wasting activity?
4. What is the last great book you read?
5. How do you feel about puzzles?
6. Do you consider yourself a good cook?
7. What is the last great meal you ate?
8. What’s a home-improvement project you really want to do?
9. What is something people assume about your job that is totally incorrect?
10. Do you love or hate social media?
11. Which trilogy do you prefer: The Godfather or Before Sunrise?
12. Do you have a pet?
13. What is your most controversial opinion?
14. Do you have any hobbies?
15. What is the most beautiful place you’ve ever traveled to?
16. What is your favorite thing about your hometown?
17. What is a habit you wish you could form?
18. If you had to get a tattoo right now, what would you choose?
19. What is the first band you saw live?
20. Don’t you hate when there’s a live band at a restaurant, when you just want to be able to talk to the person you came with? Or do you like it?
21. Do you have a favorite poem?
22. Do you believe in ghosts?
23. What is your biggest fear?
24. What is your favorite room in your house?
25. What is the most you’ve ever spent on a tiny thing you absolutely did not need?
26. What is the first job you ever had?
27. Do you watch any reality TV?
28. What is your favorite smell?
29. If you had to be stuck in an elevator with a famous person, who would you choose?
30. What is the most thoughtful gift you’ve ever given?
31. I love your [item of clothing]. Where did you get it?
32. Are you named after anyone?
33. What is your favorite place in the world?
34. What is the worst novelty cocktail or soda you’ve ever had?
35. What is your favorite aspect of your job?
36. What job did you want to have as a little kid?
37. If you had to wear only one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it look like?
38. Do you believe in aliens?
39. If you could, would you go to Mars?
40. Have you watched The Sopranos?
Conversation starters for a first date.
41. What do you do for fun?
42. Do you have siblings? It no, do you wish you did?
43. Who has been the most inspirational person in your life?
44. Do you think you’re a more spontaneous person or a more careful person?
45. What is your morning routine like?
46. What were you like in high school?
47. What are your go-to movie snacks?
48. What is your family like?
49. What are your friends like?
50. When did you know you wanted to have your current occupation?
51. Can you describe your perfect night in?
52. Do you like getting dressed up or would you rather be in cozy clothes?
53. Do you have any hidden talents?
54. What is your deal-breaker, in terms of a romantic partner?
56. Do you have a favorite romantic comedy?
57. What is something you need in a partner?
58. Who is your celebrity crush?
59. Do you have a best friend?
60. Should we go out on another date?
Conversation starters for a virtual hangout.
61. What is your favorite object in your home?
62. Can you show me the last physical book you read?
63. What does your apartment smell like right now?
64. What is your favorite piece of art that you have hanging on your wall?
65. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
66. What are you going to have for dinner tonight?
67. How many push-ups can you do and are you willing to show me?
68. Want to play rock-paper-scissors?
69. Can you guess what word I’m thinking of?
70. Can you show me your favorite sweatshirt?
71. What are you going to do tonight?
72. Who is the last person you video chatted with?
73. Do you already have your next video chat scheduled?
74. Do you have any in-progress home-improvement efforts you can show me?
75. Do you have any art that you’ve made yourself?
76. Which pair of socks is your favorite?
77. What is your favorite thing about your bedroom?
78. What is your least favorite thing about your home?
79. If you could change anything about your apartment, what would it be?
80. What do you see outside of your window right now?
Conversation starters to go deep.
81. What is your biggest goal in life?
82. What is your biggest regret in life?
83. What do you think is the purpose of art?
84. What do you think the most important factor is in a healthy friendship?
85. How important is loyalty to you?
86. Do you think people have an obligation to help each other?
87. Do you think the internet did more to help or hurt our society?
88. What is your most helpful emotion?
89. What is your least helpful emotion?
90. What do you think most people don’t really understand about you?
Conversation starters if you’re feeling daring.
91. Do you ever worry that space aliens might be hotter than humans?
92. Would you rather be haunted by a ghost or have cockroaches?
93. Would you embarrass yourself in front of your crush irrevocably for $3,000?
94. Do you know any good gossip?
95. How would you rate my appearance on a scale of 1 to 10? Be honest.
96. If someone presented you with a deal that was like, you had a button and every time you pressed it a stranger got a quick jolt of pain — nothing too terrible, just quick and uncomfortable — and you got $10, would you ever press it? And if you would, how many times per day? Would you tell anyone about it, or keep it a secret?
97. Would you rather your pants always be a little too tight, or a stranger’s hair to fall out? If you had to choose?
98. Which of the Rugrats babies do you think grew up to be the hottest?
99. What is the most disgusting thing you’ve ever eaten by accident?
100. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have sex with a ghost?