Whether you’re a new couple or have been together long-term, most people, at one point or another, reach a point at which they run out of things to talk about. It probably won’t last forever — a short-term conversational lull or rut is no reason to panic! — but when you’re feeling disconnected from, or even disinterested in, your partner, it’s hard to know what to do to get things back on track. It might feel a bit cheesy or forced at first, but engaging your girlfriend in new topics of discussion can help bring you closer. It’s a great way to show your girlfriend that you still care, too: Who doesn’t love being given a reason to talk about themselves?
Here are 50 questions you can try the next time you’re looking for something to talk to your girlfriend about.
1. What did you want to grow up to do when you were 5? What about 15?
2. Who was the most popular girl in your seventh-grade class?
3. What’s the most out-of-character thing you’ve ever done?
4. Have you ever successfully pulled off a surprise party?
5. Do you believe in astrology?
6. What are you most scared of that is least likely to happen?
7. If you could change one thing about your face, what would it be? (This is also a good opportunity to tell her you wouldn’t change anything about her face.)
8. What was your favorite book to be read when you were a kid?
9. What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in school?
10. What do you think is more embarrassing: tripping in public or having your umbrella flip inside out in public?
11. If you had to get rid of one color forever, what would it be?
12. What would your last meal on Earth be?
13. Why do you (or don’t you) believe in God?
14. Have you ever committed a crime?
15. How do you feel about the justice system?
16. How do you want to be buried when you die?
17. Do you have any strong feelings about bachelorette parties?
18. What are all the drugs you would and wouldn’t try?
19. What’s your favorite T-shirt you ever owned?
20. Do you think anyone really has “dealbreakers” that don’t have exceptions?
21. What are the top five countries you’d want to visit next?
22. Would you rather be able to apparate or use Floo powder? (If they haven’t read Harry Potter, you’ll have to explain.)
23. What’s a movie that everyone loved that you hated?
24. Which style of written laughter do you like best? (Lol, hahah, etc.)
25. Would you do anything differently if you knew you’d live to be 200?
26. What’s your weirdest sex fantasy?
27. What part of your daily routine do you most look forward to?
28. What type of inclement weather do you like best?
29. What type of inclement weather do you fear most?
30. What would you do if you were given a million dollars today and told you had to spend it by tomorrow?
31. Do you think we’ll ever see a viable third-party presidential candidate?
32. What is your favorite kind of cheese?
33. Do you prefer books organized by author, genre, or spine color?
34. What’s the best sale purchase you’ve ever made?
35. What’s the best thing you’ve found at a garage sale/flea market?
36. Which word creeps you out?
37. Which Bravo universe character is most like you? And least?
38. Do you think other animals hate us for thinking we’re so much better than them?
39. What’s something you’ve lost that you still miss?
40. Have you ever had any recurring dreams? What are they about?
41. Have you ever sleepwalked?
42. Do you think it’s possible for people to change?
43. Can you describe the best outfit you’ve ever seen?
44. You’re at a party and you find out there’s a surprise cake. What flavor would most disappoint you?
45. What’s the worst meal you’ve ever made for yourself?
46. How often do you think about how your organs are just expected to keep running on their own?
47. How old should people be in order to vote?
48. What’s your favorite smell?
49. What do you like best about me?
50. What do you like best about you?