Five Things We Liked on Tuesday
1. The new, tailored, polished Marc by Marc Jacobs — specifically a short, strapless navy-blue dress.
2. Bruce was completely refined and chic. We loved the evening looks of black trousers and exquisitely detailed and beaded camisole tops.
three is a trend
Waistbands Shoot for the Sky
After years of creeping steadily south, the waistband has shot up so high that even your mother’s jeans will be chic this fall. High-waisted pants and denim hit the runways in droves at Bruce, Grey Ant, Erin Fetherston, and Karen Walker. Grey Ant’s wide-legged pair dipped seductively in the back, with just the suggestion of butt cleavage. Fetherston cinched at the waist, with pleating that won’t be flattering for all. Bruce’s deep blue-denim hugged the hips and tummy, making them even less figure-friendly than your skinniest jeans.
harriet and amy
Ten Things We Liked This Weekend
1. The eyeglasses at Yigal Azrouel. Nothing like a foxy nerd.
2. Coats at Phillip Lim: There’s a perfect little leather jacket, as well as a super-cool three-buttoned, man-tailored coat.
3. Everyone’s ingenuity when it comes to keeping warm such masterful takes on layering!
ask a retailer
Jennifer Mankins of Bird Has a Thing for High-Waisted Jeans
Throughout the week, buyers from Bergdorf Goodman, Bird, Intermix, and Jeffrey New York will tell us which runway looks they plan to snatch up for fall. Jennifer Mankins, owner of Brooklyn boutique Bird, files her first picks — she’s favoring Grey Ant, Bruce, Karen Walker, and Sue Stemp so far.